Dave Payerchin talks about how he hit it big out of the gate, lost everything, partnered up with RJ Pepino, and grew to a portfolio of that brings in $100k+ per month. We also talk about partnerships & why single family is better than multi-family when building your portfolio.
Video Replay of Interview with Dave Payerchin
Buy our Perfect Seller Appointment Checklist. https://www.disruptors.com/checklist
Want to close more deals without spending any more money? Go to https://www.disruptors.com
Follow me on IG: https://www.instagram.com/steve.trang
Dave Payerchin Shares How He & RJ Pepino Bring in 6 Figures per Month Through 100+ Rental Properties
With Dave Payerchin, Sell House Columbus
November 18, 2020
About Dave Payerchin
Dave Payerchin made his way to Phoenix, Arizona from Cleveland, Ohio right out of high school to work in the Valley’s booming construction industry. A chance encounter with a former classmate steered him to working for MCI Worldcom as a telemarketer. Since he wasn’t old enough to hit the bar scene and didn’t know anyone in Phoenix, Dave hung out at Borders bookstore reading sales books and eventually real estate investor books.
After showing up at work one morning to be told that MCI Worldcom had basically folded up overnight, Dave jumped into real estate with two feet. He knew nothing except what he had read in a few books, but thanks to a Phoenix real estate market that was on fire in 2005, Dave made and closed deals, but eventually went bankrupt when the market crashed and easy bank money dried up overnight. Once again, Dave was out of work.
Eventually Dave began working for RealEstateInvestor.com and met RJ Pepino at a conference. Fast forward a few years, and Dave and RJ team up on some deals in Columbus, Ohio. They worked primarily with BRRRR strategies (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat) to build a portfolio of rental properties. Now Dave and RJ are big proponents of owning single family rental properties for income and wealth growth.
Dave and Steve discuss how Dave became a real estate investor, lessons he learned along the way, failures, restarting, and succeeding with a partner. They discuss multifamily vs. single family, why holding rental properties is a successful strategy in today’s market, and ways to get started for new investors.
Top 5 Takeaways from Dave:
5. Don’t go it alone. The people in real estate networking groups aren’t your enemies; they’re your resources. Don’t be afraid to share and ask for help.
4. Partnerships are just like marriages. Sometimes one person moves or evolves faster than the other, but you have to be willing to work together and pull each other along as needed.
3. Single family rentals represent a massive opportunity right now because of the demand for single-family homes. Big Wall Street firms are investing in single family homes, developers are doing build to rent developments, and the public demand for homes is huge everywhere, especially due to Covid-19 concerns.
2. With interest rates at historic lows, now is the time to use bank financing to refinance your rentals. This can secure your investments for years or decades.
1. Be smart about leveraging your properties. A big problem with the 2008 real estate apocalypse was investors over-leveraging (more in loans than property value). Don’t over-leverage, and be smart with your financing. Then you will have great flexibility and multiple exit strategies you can employ as needed.
Bonus Takeaway: Act with grace to others. Do the right thing, work to be honorable, and look for the good in people (especially when screening renters). Often the best people on paper are not the best option for you.
About Steve Trang
Steve Trang is the founder of the Real Estate Disruptors movement and host of the Real Estate Disruptors Podcast. He started his podcast in the middle of 2018 to inspire wholesalers and real estate agents to double their incomes by adding a second leg to their business. The podcast has now grown to ten thousand followers with new members of the community sharing their success story every week.
Steve’s goal is to create 100 Millionaires. One of his favorite quotes is from the great Zig Ziglar: “You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want.” He heard this quote when he first got into real estate, and it has stuck with him throughout his entire career. In fact, it’s essentially one of the core values Steve lives by.