Cody Purtle & Jared Graves talk about how they got started in real estate separately, partnered up, pivoted in the time of COVID, and why 2020 is their best year yet.
Video Replay of Interview with Cody Purtle & Jared Graves
Buy our Perfect Seller Appointment Checklist. https://www.disruptors.com/checklist
Want to close more deals without spending any more money?
Follow me on IG: https://www.instagram.com/steve.trang
Cody Purtle & Jared Graves Share How They Went From $300k+ in 2019 to $1MM+ in 2020
With Cody Purtle and Jared Graves, Texas Size Real Estate
November 11, 2020
About Cody Purtle and Jared Graves
Cody Purtle and Jared Graves each worked in the oil and gas industry, doing back-breaking manual labor with pipelines and heavy equipment.Cody decided to get out after Hurricane Harvey slammed into Houston, diving into real estate as a novice.
Jared left the hard labor as a project manager in oil and gas for a desk job when he took custody of his three kids. He also took a 50% pay cut, which didn’t sit well with him. He too looked to real estate as a means to escape his regular job.
Both struggled initially, but learned as they went. Jared found Cody on Facebook, and the two connected over a wholesale deal. After that, they partnered up and used their talents to build a wholesaling business. They really bloomed when Covid-19 and lockdowns hit. Instead of shutting down or pressing pause, they increased their marketing and efforts. The gamble paid off big, as their business boomed, they have expanded to other states and are continuing their upward trajectory. And their book is being released on December 12, 2020, which you can check out at TexasSizeWholesaling.com.
Cody and Jared join Steve to discuss how they created a partnership as they learned real estate and built a business. They discuss missteps, losses, the books and education that made a big difference, and their strategies and triumphs. This is a real tale of two guys who chased their dreams and made it big.
Top 5 Takeaways from Cody and Jared:
5. Don’t get caught up in buying software, doing this, doing that. Just pick up the phone and call, put out bandit signs, get a deal. You can figure it out as you go.
4. When you need to hire people, hire them. But have a process for interviewing and evaluating them. Have goals and targets for them so you can measure performance.
3. Training your employees is key, but you don’t have to create everything. There are tons of videos you can use to train for acquisitions, dispositions, etc. Don’t reinvent the wheel when you don’t have to.
2. Be careful of the bright, shiny objects. They can distract you from what you need to do. It’s OK to want to go after big things, but don’t lose sight of what you need to do daily.
1. Learn how to organize and manage your business, and then do it. Always strive to learn more and improve yourself. You can train your team to do the daily work, and you can focus on the new things you want to do.
Bonus Takeaway: Just do it. Get started, NOW.
About Steve Trang
Steve Trang is the founder of the Real Estate Disruptors movement and host of the Real Estate Disruptors Podcast. He started his podcast in the middle of 2018 to inspire wholesalers and real estate agents to double their incomes by adding a second leg to their business. The podcast has now grown to ten thousand followers with new members of the community sharing their success story every week.
Steve’s goal is to create 100 Millionaires. One of his favorite quotes is from the great Zig Ziglar: “You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want.” He heard this quote when he first got into real estate, and it has stuck with him throughout his entire career. In fact, it’s essentially one of the core values Steve lives by.